A Card inspired by the CAS Colour Challenge No. 333

Don’t Overthink It!

I really, really like the look of clean and simple (CAS) cards. As hard as I try, I can never seem to accomplish the look. Something about the white space just screams to me to “fill me”…haha. Anyway, today I am sharing a card that I intended to participate in the CAS Colours and Sketches Challenge #333, however I missed the deadline to enter…wah, wah. Keep reading to understand how I overthought this card and then missed the entry deadline ๐Ÿ™‚

I didn’t have the exact colors for the challenge so I chose some from my stash that were as close as possible: My Favorite Things Hybrid Inks – Cactus, Chili Pepper, and Peach Bellini.

Now, let’s chat about why I missed the link party. While in the process of making this card, I began to overthink it, trying to keep it simple and in the end made it very complex.

Mistake #1: I started with a complex design; a single a single layer card with a watercolor floral arrangement on a stenciled background. Simple, right? Not! I had to make several masks for the flowers and leaves in order to create my arrangement to stencil my background.

Mistake #2 – I didn’t stamp my images before stenciling the background. That meant I had to peel up all my masks and pray to remember my arrangement. I didn’t have that much faith in myself so I took a picture before peeling. I then stamped the flowers I wanted in front first and then masked them off as I stamped the flowers and leaves behind them. I repeated this process one more time until I had the final layer of flowers and leaves stamped. *sigh*

Mistake #3 – Do you know how fast hybrid inks dry? Well, let me tell you they dry very fast! My plan was to drag the color in the flowers and leaves with a wet brush to create a ‘soft and delicate’ watercolor. What actually happened was me squishing my ink pads on my glass mat, wetting the ink and then painting onto the panel. Looking at the picture above, I really should have cut the watercolor step altogether. It looked pretty CAS at that point. *louder sigh*

Once everything was colored and dry, I cut the image slightly smaller than an A2 card base, stamped the sentiment, and then glued the panel onto a slightly smaller fun foam sheet. I glued the entire panel to an A2 card base. I do think the card turned out nicely in spite of my mistakes to keep it clean and simple.

One of my favorite things about participating in these challenge blogs link parties is the inspiration. So eventhough, I didn’t get a chance to upload my design this time, I still very much enjoyed the challenge. As usual some of the supplies I used are listed below.

Happy Crafting Y’all, Erika

Supplies Used:
* Rubbernecker Stamps - Honey Combs Stencil
* Honey Doo Crafts - Little Lilies and Leaves stamp set
* MFT Hybrid Inks - Cactus, Peach Bellini, and Red Chili Pepper
* MFT Stamp set - LJD Cheerful Blessings
* Picket Fences - Life Changing Blender Brushes

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s